From Allegro Wiki
Allegro 5 is the most recent version of Allegro and has major changes over all the previous Allegro versions. In addition to a complete rewrite of the API, changes in Allegro 5 over the Allegro 4 version include the addition of hardware acceleration and an architecture structured around an event system.
Because of the API rewrite, Allegro 4 programs do not transfer directly into the Allegro 5 API. Though adapting an existing Allegro 4 program to work with Allegro 5 functions is possible, it is generally recommended that programs be rewritten in Allegro 5 to take advantage of the new design intentions, like the event system.
Installing and Building Allegro 5
This tutorials shows you how to install with the pre-built binaries using different IDEs and compilers.
- Windows, Visual Studio 2008 and Allegro 5
- Windows, Visual Studio 2010 and Allegro 5
- Windows Vista, Code::Blocks 10.05 and Allegro 5
In this section hopefully you'll learn how to build Allegro from scratch. Remember that this process on Windows might be very tedious and only has one advantage over the pre-built binaries and it's the fact that allows you to use the latest versions of Allegro which is in development and unstable, but may include new features that you could be interested in, like Allegro 5.1 that for the moment of this writing has the possibility of converting manually memory bitmaps to video bitmaps and that's a great feature if you're working with different threads.
Using Allegro 5
In these tutorials we will attempt to teach you how to use Allegro 5. Starting with the absolute bare necessities of display creation, and extending into all the various addons for music, and fonts and primitives.
These tutorials assumes you are fairly competent in C/C++.
- Allegro 5 API Tutorials
- Allegro Vivace
- Tilemap Example
- Achieving Resolution Independence
- CodingMadeEasy Allegro 5 youtube video series
Non Official Addons
External Recommended Websites
- 2D Game Development Course using Allegro 5 - A set of video tutorials covering a wide variety of concepts needed to create simple games with Allegro 5
- C++ Allegro 5 Made Easy - A set of video tutorials covering a slightly different set of concepts than the above series
- Allegro 5 Book - A set of tutorials that cover some basic usage of Allegro 5