The Allegro Wiki is migrating to github at https://github.com/liballeg/allegro_wiki/wiki
Difference between revisions of "Allegro 5"
(→Non Official Addons)
Revision as of 19:54, April 12, 2014
Allegro 5 is the most recent version of Allegro and has major changes over all the previous Allegro versions. In addition to a complete rewrite of the API, changes in Allegro 5 over the Allegro 4 version include the addition of hardware acceleration and an architecture structured around an event system.
Because of the API rewrite, Allegro 4 programs do not transfer directly into the Allegro 5 API. Though adapting an existing Allegro 4 program to work with Allegro 5 functions is possible, it is generally recommended that programs be rewritten in Allegro 5 to take advantage of the new design intentions, like the event system.
- 1 Installing and Building Allegro 5
- 2 Using Allegro 5
- 3 Miscellaneous and Historical Articles
Installing and Building Allegro 5
These tutorials show you how to install with the pre-built binaries using different IDEs and compilers. If you don't see your system listed here, see the manual building instructions in the next section.
- Windows, Visual Studio 2008 and Allegro 5
- Windows, Visual Studio 2010 and Allegro 5
- Windows, Code::Blocks and Allegro 5
These tutorials show how to build Allegro from scratch, which is necessary if there are no pre-built binaries available for your system, or you want to try out the unstable version of Allegro outside of its snapshot releases.
Using Allegro 5
These tutorials teach you how to use Allegro 5. Starting with the absolute bare necessities of display creation, and extending into all the various addons for music, and fonts and primitives.
These tutorials assumes you are fairly competent in C/C++.
- Allegro 5 API Tutorials
- Allegro Vivace
- Tilemap Example
- Achieving Resolution Independence
- CodingMadeEasy Allegro 5 youtube video series
Non Official Addons
External Recommended Websites
- 2D Game Development Course using Allegro 5 - A set of video tutorials covering a wide variety of concepts needed to create simple games with Allegro 5
- C++ Allegro 5 Made Easy - A set of video tutorials covering a slightly different set of concepts than the above series
- Allegro 5 Book - A set of tutorials that cover some basic usage of Allegro 5